Leading a Non-Profit from Spark to Succession
Build an organization that is growth-minded, values-based, and innovative using the six steps to "responsible impact."
At age 16, Michael 'Piecez' Prosserman, a professional b-boy (breakdancer), completed a school project that would grow to become a hip-hop-inspired mental health charity with global reach. Through a process of continuous discovery and reflection, Prosserman and his team grew UNITY to the point where it benefitted over a quarter of a million young people. In Building Unity, Prosserman breaks down the six steps to discovering "responsible impact" and building an organization that is growth-minded, values-based, and reflective of the needs of its community. Using stories of his own evolution, learning, and growth as a leader over 15 years, Prosserman parallels the creativity found in breakdancing with the innovation needed to build a sustainable non-profit.
Six steps to discovering "responsible impact":
- Spark is the inspiration, the big "why," the motivation to wake up and do something.
- Build is the testing ground to clarify ideas, understand community needs, and challenge assumptions.
- Trust involves building the culture of your organization, leading by example, and hiring people with dreams. Trust sets the stage for growth by empowering awesome people.
- Grow is about finding the right size for your organization to create a responsible impact.
- Evolve is knowing when to step back so others can step forward by building a succession plan that leaves your organization in good hands.
- Re-Ignite is building from past experience and lighting the next spark within yourself.
About this Author
Michael 'Piecez' Prosserman found his passion for breakdancing at a very young age. By the time he was three, Michael was already standing on his head while watching Saturday morning cartoons. Michael is a university instructor, mental health advocate, and professional speaker, specializing in start-ups, team culture, fundraising, and succession. He is the founder of UNITY Charity and EPIC Leadership. He lives in Toronto, Ontario.
If the product is in stock at the store nearest you, we suggest you call ahead to have it set aside for you, or you may place an order online and choose in-store pickup.