Green Blankstein Russell and Associates
An Architectural Legacy
About this Item
Winnipeg Archtecture Foundation
Winnipeg-based architecture firm Green Blankstein Russell and Associates (GBR) opened in the slow years of the Great Depression. From this inauspicious starting point the firm would grow to become, by the 1950s and 60s, a major player on the Canadian architectural scene: the largest architectural office between Ontario and British Columbia, with seven offices in four provinces.
GBR was a hub for partnership and training, and was a pioneering force in its inclusion of women and members of Canada's diverse cultural communities within the field of design. Covering a wide range of individual buildings and practitioners, this book explores the significant mark GBR made on its hometown and across the country, as well as the firm’s role as a leader in the growth of Modernist architecture in Canada.
"Green Blankstein Russell & Associates: An Architectural Legacy" was written by authors Jeffrey Thorsteinson and Brennan Smith with The Winnipeg Architecture Foundation. Jeffrey Thorsteinson and Brennan Smith are both graduates of the University of Manitoba and Queen’s University in the fields of architectural and art history.
The Winnipeg Architecture Foundation is a registered charity with a mandate to educate the public about architecture. It is a group of architects, historians and interested individuals, with a passion for Winnipeg's architecture. Their particular emphasis is on the modernist era of 1945 - 1975 but their site includes information on more contemporary architecture, landscape architecture and public art.
The Winnipeg Architecture Foundation has a continuing research programme documenting Winnipeg buildings, landscapes and their designers. The research is used to inform public programmes including tours, exhibits, publications and an annual Architecture+Design Film Festival
For further information on the WAF please see their website at www.winnipegarchitecture.ca