The Big Book of Nature Activities
A Year-Round Guide to Outdoor Learning
"A wealth of ideas for adults to engage children and themselves in the wonders of the natural world with suggested activities for all seasons."-Robert Bateman, artist and author of Life Sketches: A Memoir
The Big Book of Nature Activities is a comprehensive guide for parents and educators to help youth of all ages explore, appreciate, and connect with the natural world. This rich, fully illustrated compendium is packed with crafts, stories, information, and inspiration to make outdoor learning fun!
The Big Book of Nature Activities features:
- Nature-based skills and activities such as species identification, photography, journaling, and the judicious use of digital technology
- Ideas, games, and activities grounded in what's happening in nature each season
- Core concepts that promote environmental literacy, such as climate change and the mechanisms and wonder of evolution, explained using a child-friendly, engaging approach
- Lists of key species and happenings to observe throughout the year across most of North America
- GOLD | 2016 Nautilus Book Awards: Animals & Nature
- GOLD | 2016 Nautilus Book Awards: Middle Grades - Nonfiction
- FINALIST | 2016 Foreword INDIES: Nature
About this Author
Jacob Rodenburg is the Executive Director of Camp Kawartha, an award winning summer camp and outdoor education centre which uses music, drama, hands-on exploration, games and activities to inspire awe and wonder for the local environment. He teaches part time at Trent University, where he spearheaded the development of an "Eco Mentor" certificate program for teacher candidates which was subsequently adopted by several other universities. As well as publishing numerous articles on children, nature and the environment, Jacob has worked in the field of outdoor education for 25 years and recently received the Ontario Society of Environmental Educators Award for "Leadership in Environmental Education".
Drew Monkman is an award-winning environmental advocate, and former board member of the Camp Kawartha summer camp and outdoor education centre. A retired elementary school teacher, Drew's interest in integrating nature activities and environmental education into all areas of the curriculum led him to oversee the development of an outdoor classroom which went on to become a model for many similar projects throughout North America. In addition to writing a weekly nature column, Drew is the author of several almanac-style environmental books including Nature's Year and Nature's Year in the Kawarthas . (www.drewmonkman.com)
If the product is in stock at the store nearest you, we suggest you call ahead to have it set aside for you, or you may place an order online and choose in-store pickup.